Monday, October 14, 2019

It Takes Strength to Be Silent


Psalm 141:3> “Set a guard over my mouth, LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.” (NIV)

Oh no they didn’t! They just said and/or did something that totally ticked you off! Coming back with a snide remark is on the tip of your tongue; you can almost taste it. You want to put your two cents in, expose them and shut them up. They are not going to get away with what they said and/or did. It hurt. It cut deep. It was humiliating. Your quick response may be to get even. To make them feel just like they made you feel. Wouldn’t that be the fair thing to do?

  
I have put my two-cents in before. My intention was to hurt them like they hurt me. I would like to say what Paul said, “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” (Romans 7:15 ESV) The problem is, at that time I knew exactly what I was doing and even wanted to. (My head is hanging low now, yes, I am ashamed.) At that moment, I knew exactly what I was doing. Furthermore, I didn’t hate it either. Well, at least not right then. I wanted to strike back and I did. However, one thing is for sure, I did regret it. It sickened me. As a child of God, I knew better. I truly wish I had never retaliated. I was very thankful for the conviction. Even more thankful for the chance to repent and seek forgiveness.  


There has also been a time when I could not retaliate. It wasn’t because I didn’t want to. I wanted to! However, there was a deep stirring inside me. The Holy Spirit was at work. I wanted to open my mouth and dish it back but it wouldn’t come. Instead, reminders of Jesus mocked, beaten, and spat upon came. He had done nothing wrong. He had said nothing wrong. He could have whipped every one of them with His tongue without ever laying a hand on them. Instead, He was silent. Oh, the strength it took to be silent. I desire that strength. Am I the only one? Thank You, Holy Spirit, for continuing to work in me...



In awe of Him,

Vonda




No comments:

Post a Comment