Monday, December 16, 2019

An Example from the Wise Men



Every year, the focus of Christmas changes for me, it has a deeper meaning. I love that! It means God’s Word is not old and worn out. It means there is always something new found in the same verses we read every Christmas.  This Christmas, God used the wise men to stir in my heart a much deeper meaning.



Matthew 2:1-2, 11> Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem, saying “Where is He who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw His star when it rose and have come to worship Him.” … And going into the house, they saw the child with Mary His mother, and they fell down and worshiped Him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered Him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. (ESV)  (I have capitalized the first letter in any name pertaining to Jesus.)



I always found a reason to give gifts in these verses. The Wise Men were my example. After all, they presented gifts to Jesus. They went to Joseph and Mary’s with the intent to take gifts to Him. Isn’t that what we do? We travel to our family, or perhaps we are the ones who host, and give gifts? Most especially for the children. Do not get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it. I personally find joy in that! However, this year the focus has shifted. I saw in the verses something different and for the very first time. It was what the Wise Men gave Jesus and where it came from that convicted me.



Following a star, the Wise Men traveled a long way to see the king of the Jews. They stopped in Jerusalem to ask for directions. Herod the king got those from the chief priests and scribes and gave them to the men. He told them to come back and let him know where the king of the Jews was so he, too, could go worship Him. (Well, we all know that was garbage. He had no intent of doing that!) So, off the Wise Men went to find Jesus.



Because they were seeking Him, they found Him (Jeremiah 29:13), with a star leading the way. When they saw where the star came to rest, they rejoiced! They had found Him. It is what they did next that got me: “they saw the child…and fell down and worshiped Him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered Him gifts…



Y’all, that absolutely gets me. After intentionally seeking Him, they found Him. Their intent had been to worship Him. They even told Herod that is what they were going to do. Being in the presence of Jesus could only make you worship Him. The Wise Men opened their treasures and offered their gifts to Him. The gifts given were valuable, costly. They knew that but never debated giving them to the king of the Jews. That, too, was intentional. That was the lesson for me. Have I opened my treasures and offered them to Jesus? What are my treasures? Jesus is pretty clear on what treasures are considered: ‘’For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:21) OUCH!



The Wise Men gave Jesus gifts from their heart. After all, they were very wise men!



Where is your/my treasure this Christmas? Are you, am I, willing to offer it, them to Jesus?



In awe of Him,

~Vonda










No comments:

Post a Comment